The Community Department is currently headed by Director Bert Foster and consists of a Planning Technician Ludy McIntyre and a Development Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer Rex Dickie. Our offices are open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday at the Municipal Complex/City Hall at 3644 Highway 42, Locust Grove, GA 30248. You may reach us at the Main City Hall number (770) 957-5043 or our Main Direct number (770) 692-2321.
2015 Census Population Estimates May 20, 2016. The U S Census Bureau released the latest population estimates for counties and incorporated places for 2015. Henry County population has increased by over 6.8% since the April 1, 2010 Census to 217,789. While low compared to the boom decades of the 1990s and 2000, the pace of growth appears to coming back at a moderate and more manageable pace. For a breakdown between the county and its cities, the news is mixed. The pace of unincorporated growth is slowing compared to the previous decades, indicating more of a move into cities and confirming the urbanization of Henry County as a whole during the prior 20 years. Locust Grove is still the smallest city in population at 5,790; buth is still growing more rapidly (7.2% growth rate) compared with most all of the other towns, with the exception of Stockbridge. The largest and fastest-growing cities is Stockbridge, with 28,202 residents, a 10% increase since 2010. Rounding out the cities is the county seat of McDonough at 23,417 (6.0% increase) and Hampton with 7,332 (5.5% growth). The unincorporated portion grew less than the county as a whole (6.4%), again indicating more urbanization of the county overall.
*ATTENTION ALL BUILDERS AND DEVELOPERS* Effective January 1, 2014, the following code editions shall be in effect for construction projects within the city limits of Locust Grove: International Building Code 2012 Edition; International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings -- 2012 Edition; International Plumbing Code -- 2012 Edition; International Mechanical Code -- 2012 Edition; International Fire Code -- 2012 Edition; International Energy Conservation Code -- 2009 Edition; International Fuel Gas Code -- 2012 Edition; International Property Maintenance Code -- 2006 Edition; International Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2012 Edition; National Electrical Code NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) -- 2011 Edition; The Code for Safety of Life from Fire in Buildings and Structures as contained in the National Fire Prevention Association Publication 101 (NFPA). All with Georgia Amendments as adopted by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.
Services rendered by this Department include:
- 2010 Census
- April 5, 2012. Census releases Urbanized Area designations for US effective March 26, 2012. Urbanized area of Atlanta grew second in terms of population (Houston, TX led), but ranked first in land area added between 2000 and 2010. Map of top Urban Areas LINK. For Henry County, the Atlanta Urbanized area increased throughout the I-75 corridor and incorporates roughly half the land area of the county. Locust Grove, previously the only city in the county classified as an "urban cluster" is now fully incorporated into the Atlanta Region. See MAP for more detail. LIST from Census Bureau. For more information from the Census, follow to PAGE.
- 2011 Census Estimate for Henry County. On April 5, 2012, the Census released 2011 Population Estimates for all US Counties. Henry County posted only a 1.05% increase to 207,360 from the estimate base in July 2010. Henry County is no longer one of the 100 fastest-growing counties in the country. Throughout much of the 1990s and 2000s, the county was in the Top 10 in percentage population growth. The Great Recession and the continuing effects of foreclosures have affected jurisdictions across Atlanta, including Henry County. For more information, see the Census webpage.
- Census 2010 Data Release of basic Henry County, Cities MARCH 17, 2011
- March 24, 2011 Census Summary of United States. Just released showing overall snapshot of Census 2010. Henry County remains in the Top 10 Fastest-Growing Counties in the US.
- Geographic Center of Population of the United States, movement since 1790. IMAGE
- May 16, 2011 Release. City Data on VACANT HOUSING, BLACK POPULATION, LATINO POPULATION, ASIAN POPULATION
- Locust Grove Census SF-1 PROFILE
- QuickFacts on Locust Grove
- Building Permits
- Building Plan Review
- Code Enforcement
- Comprehensive Planning (Jointly with Henry County)
- LCI - Livable Centers Initiative Town Center Plan
- Development Impact Fee Administration and Reporting
- Development Plan Review
- Forecasting and Data Analysis
- Latest Department Analysis from Case-Shiller Price Index, Standard and Poors for Home Prices in Atlanta and other Markets, May 2013 data Decline and Rebound . Declines in house prices ended in early 2012. Recovery appears to be taking hold throughout the country and in the region specifically.
- GIS Mapping (Jointly with Stormwater) Basic City Map
- Historic Preservation (with HPC)
- Land Development Permitting
- Regional Planning Activities (Jointly with ARC, GRTA, Henry County)
- Rezoning Activity (Including Conditional Use and Variance applications)
- Soil and Erosion Control Inspection and Enforcement
- 6th Edition Soil Erosion Manual to become effective July 1, 2016. PRESENTATION
- Transportation Planning
- Zoning Compliance
Documents and Maps
Forms and Applications
Special Ordinances and Addenda